Pages


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baysville Writers' Circle: New Beginnings January 2011

Here's the first in a series of writings by the participants of the Baysville Writers' Circle, facilitated by Melody Richardson, and held at the Baysville Library the last Wednesday of every month at 9:30am.

New Beginnings January 2011 
by Linda Lacroix
I have not mounted the monster for at least a decade and a half. He used to look up at me with those bright red eyes and scream horrible things into my head. He and he alone decided if I was to have a good or a bad day. After years and years of abuse, I finally decided I’d had enough of the monster so I loaded him into the car and took him to the dump. 
Flip ahead to Jan 1st 2011. I’m at a party surrounded with good friends, good wine, good conversation and a table laden with a feast fit for a king. I’m having a great time when all of a sudden I had to go to the bathroom. As I’m sitting there pondering life, I look over and there in front of me is the monster. What made me do it I have no idea, but the next thing I know I am on top of him. He glared up at me with those oh so familiar fiery red eyes and life has not been the same since. Once again my head was filled with thoughts that had nothing to do with the party. The conversation was not interesting anymore, the wine tasted bitter and the feast scared me.  
Now I’m back to writing, adding and reading numbers and believe me I hate numbers. All day long numbers, numbers numbers. I am so not a number person. The monster is once again in control of my life but given the fact my cholesterol is high, my blood pressure is high and my clothes are tight, I guess someone has to be in control because clearly I am not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment